The New Athens Emergency Services Disaster Agency (ESDA) also known as New Athens Emergency Management Agency (EMA) in conjuction with the New Athens Police, Fire, EMS, and Public Works Department, is prepared to assist the public during emergencies and events. Some of the duties of the ESDA/EMA include: activating outdoor warning sirens and the code red phone system, storm spotting and storm damage assessment, managing shelters, assisting in natural and manmade disasters, traffic control and street closures, community events, and assisting other village departments.
Please contact the village hall for any questions about the EMA or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Outdoor Warning Siren Signals
The EMA Department has established the following siren signals
- WAIL- similar to the siren on a fire truck. Used calling emergency services for extra help
- TORNADO – tone rises and falls quickly. Used for warning residents of a severe situation and to take cover
- HI-LOW – alternating high/low tones. Used for evacuation
- ATTACK – one steady high tone. Used to warn of an enemy attack
- AIR HORN – pulsating fog horn sound. Used preceding a public address announcement
The outdoor warning siren is tested on the first Tuesday of every month at 10:00am along with the CODE RED phone alert system.